Pruitt Lake Baptist Church to celebrate 100 years

AVINGER -- Pruitt Lake Baptist Church of Avinger will celebrate one hundred years of service in the Pruitt Lake Community with a Homecoming and Centennial service Sunday, August 13. American Legion Post 351 Honor Guard will open the service with posting the colors and the National Anthem at 10:30 a.m. There will be singing, some history, and a message by former pastor, Bro Franklin Battles, followed by a potluck lunch in the fellowship hall.

The following is a history of the church, as submitted by Pastor Ervin Gould.

Pruitt Lake Baptist Church was organized in 1917 with seventeen charter members. Rev G.K. Williams preached the organizational message, C.M. Chambers gave the Bible charge and P.W. Goodson, a deacon at Sardis Baptist Church, prayed the organizational prayer. Family names on the list of charter members include: McKinney, McCoy, Henry, Foster, Webster, Biddy, Bishop and Kirkland. The first pastor was C.M. Chambers, and the first deacons were Lemeul McKinney, T. McCoy and Robert Webster. The church may have met and organized in the school house in Avinger, but within a year or two they built a church house on what is now CR 1581, a mile or so west of Pruitt Lake Cemetery.

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://www.etypeservices.com/Daingerfield%20BeeID312/

Rate this article: 
Average: 5 (2 votes)